Breakfast can often be a bit of a challenge, especially for people new to a low carb diet. Eggs are an excellent option and this recipe from Low Carb Support features mini-omelettes baked in the oven – you can make a batch at a time, refrigerate them and enjoy cold or re-heated in a microwave…
The basic form of this recipe just needs eggs and cheese.
I use cottage or cream cheese to mix with the egg (crumbled feta would also work well), and sprinkle some grated hard cheese like cheddar on top to get that golden top.
You can add any low-carb vegetables to this basic mixture to suit your taste. For example:
- cauliflower or broccoli, broken into tiny chunks
Meaty additions would also jazz this up nicely, for example:
- bacon or pancetta
- sausage meat
- ham and other deli meats
- sliced chicken breast
- smoked salmon
This is a great way to utilise leftovers – just see what you got in the fridge! You only need small amounts of these extra ingredients.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Serving Size: 70g
Calories per serving: 130
- 8 large eggs
- 200g (7oz) cottage cheese
- 60g (2oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 100g (3oz) cooked vegetables (e.g. cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, courgettes)
- 60g (2oz) sausage, bacon or deli meat, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Beat the eggs lightly
- Add cottage cheese, salt, pepper and mix well
- Add a little bit of vegetables and meat into each muffin cup
- Pour egg and cheese mixture over it so that the muffin cup is almost full
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar
- Bake on 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5 for 30 minutes or until the omelettes are puffed up and golden on top
- Eat hot or cool down and refrigerate
The amounts listed above make 12 mini-omelettes. For each serving: 130 cal, 2g net carbs, 10g protein, 10g fat.
More at: Cheesy mini-omelettes
If you’d like one or more of your low carb recipes to feature on Low Carb Diet News like this then please contact us using this form!