We are suckers for chocolate and could resist sharing this simple low carb, gluten free recipe from the excellent Low Carb Diet Support website. Could be something to make for the weekend…
- 150g (5oz) 100% unsweetened solid dark chocolate
I normally use Willie’s Cacao. In the US, Ghirardelli do unsweetened chocolate bars.
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter
- 90g (3oz) Truvia or another granular sugar substitute
- 90g (3oz) almond flour
- 30g (1oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.
- Chop up chocolate and butter into chunks and place them into a heatproof bowl.
- Melt the chocolate using the water bath method – put the bowl to sit on top of a larger pan of simmering water, so that part of the bowl is inside the pan and just above the water. (This is called Bain-Marie, or “water bath” – watch this 50-second video if you are not sure how to do it).
- Wait until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally so that it is thoroughly mixed with butter.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat the eggs and Truvia together for about 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add your egg mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Mix together almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients into the egg/chocolate mixture and blend well
- Pour mixture into a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and check. The top of the brownies should be firm but the inside should stay moist, so take care not to over-bake them.
See more (including full nutritional breakdown of the brownies and the inspiration behind them) at: Simple low-carb brownies
See more great low carb chocolate recipes from Low Carb Diet Support here
Follow the author on Twitter @Carbophobic